Join an environment that has been named by Georgia Trend as a “Best Place to Work”. Our team consist of a well-respected and collaborative group of professionals committed to using their areas of expertise to enhance the economic well-being of the small business community.
The Outreach Specialist is a classified position reporting to the Multicultural Business Division (MBD). The person in this position is responsible for identifying consulting, training and research resources for metro Atlanta communities to assist with business creation, retention, and expansion. The Outreach Specialist delivers information and technical expertise to assist in planning and implementing entrepreneur development strategies. This responsibility includes linking SBDC and other university, as well as federal and state government programs with local development groups and businesses. This charge requires the ability to work creatively and independently.
How You Will Make a Difference:
- Promote local entrepreneurship activity. Identify opportunities for the SBDC to provide consulting, training, and research support of these efforts.
- Evaluate community potential, identify areas for growth, and assess appropriate resources. The specialist should be able to interact well with local governments and economic development groups, recognizing members’ diverse capabilities and resources. All relevant economic development groups should receive the attention of the Outreach Specialist.
- Identify grants and local funding relevant to entrepreneur development. Initiate co-sponsorship of programs with private businesses, economic development organizations, and other government entities.
- Provide assistance in determining the feasibility of business development programs utilizing secondary research and conducting primary research. These services will provide practical application of entrepreneurship development theories and the implementation of proven strategies.
- Implement leadership recruitment plans in communities where entrepreneur development groups do not exist but where local leaders have expressed an interest in their creation.
- Develop specific area(s) of expertise within the arena of entrepreneur development. Apply this knowledge through new programs and activities.
What You Will Need to Qualify:
- Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field
- Knowledge of small business